Don’t drive into trouble

As a result of 150 suspensions last year, MHS has implemented some new rules in the parking lot.

Hannah Millar, Reporter

As a result of over 150 suspensions last year related to the parking lot, Mead High School has enacted some new rules.

In a press conference with the 2018-2019 newspaper staff, Ms. Ayers stated that last year there were, “one-hundred-fifty episodes of drug use, sex, and inappropriate content in the parking lot”.

Later, Mrs. Ayers confirmed that the number of suspensions due to parking lot issues last year was 157 to be exact and 5% of our total population of students.

She explains how the new parking lot rules are for students’ safety and the prevention of any inappropriate behavior.

This means students are not allowed to sit in their vehicles during lunch.

What’s the next step if the suspensions for the parking lot continues or increases? Will the school go as far as taking away parking lot privileges?

Mr. Gordon, the school dean, quotes that, this year, “we are not above district average as far as [he] know[s].” But he does not clarify what exactly the district average is or how much lower we are from that average.

We have a number of 1,107 students enrolled this year.

Now, one can imagine—more or less—that half of those students are driving to school every morning and exiting the parking lot at the same time through the same exits. Students can not only get suspended for the things they do in their vehicles, but they can also be suspended for the damage your vehicle might do.

We have had many accidents in our parking lot throughout the years. Several have resulted in suspensions.

Administration has made it very clear that they take parking lot incidents very seriously.

Students need to be aware that school officials are taking the parking lot seriously this year.

About the Contributor
Hannah Millar, Reporter

Hannah Millar is a sophomore at Mead High. She enjoys texting people, hanging out with friends, eating, and hanging out with her awesome friend Ayden! She wants to bring a new and exciting voice to The Mav.

You can contact her at [email protected]