Although there will be no 2019-2020 Carbash, Student Council and other organizations have Tailgate planned

There will be no Carbash or Bonfire, instead a Tailgate is planned for Thursday afternoon

A+student+takes+a+sledgehammer+to+the+car+from+the+2017-2018+school+year.+

A student takes a sledgehammer to the car from the 2017-2018 school year.

Faith Hale, Head Photographer

Disappointing to some and not others, students will not have an opportunity to take a sledgehammer to a car without consequence this year—a once-popular tradition amongst MHS students. 

Also, because of the cancellation of the Carbash, there will not be a Homecoming Bonfire either. 

That being said, there are still a number of events planned for the evening.

Mead High School Student Council and Mead High School Boosters worked together to bring to life a new event to MHS on Tuesday, September 10th at 4:00 PM. 

All Mead High Students are invited to participate in a tailgate party in the main parking lot. Food will be available for purchase, but the event itself is free.

At the end of the tailgate, the drumline will lead students to the soccer field to cheer on Varsity Soccer at 6:00 PM. 

The President of Boosters, Mrs. Rachel Salaz, said, “[Homecoming being so early this year] has a lot to do with [the cancellation of the Carbash and Bonfire.]” 

She added, “Student council opted out of the event because of the work involved to get the car, have it towed, and find a location. The location was changed this year due to new policies made in the city limits of Mead. And even though Boosters would typically help facilitate that, they [the Town of Mead] wouldn’t even let us help.”

Student Council Vice President Celeste Ortega (‘20) said, “[The Carbash was] just too big of a liability.”

She said, “I’m really looking forward to the tailgate, I think this could be the beginning of a new tradition.” 

Some students are disappointed. Erin Hanafin (‘20) said that she felt the tailgate was rushed. 

“The Carbash is an amazing experience, everyone has fun there,” added Hanafin.

Rachel Serena (‘22) said “I honestly don’t mind the idea of a tailgate in place of a bonfire, more people might be willing to let their kids go to that. This whole week is about bringing the community together, and having a tailgate just seems more inclusive.”