Proposition 119 to raise marijuana tax fails

Proposition 119, which proposed to raise the Colorado marijuana tax to 20% by 2024, didn’t pass

Elsa Olofsson from Unsplash

If passed, the Learning Enrichment and Academic Progress (LEAP) Program would have been created.

Ana Sofia Valdez, Copy & Design Editor

On Tuesday, Nov. 16, Coloradans voted on a new proposition that would increase sales tax on marijuana. Recreational marijuana is already taxed at 15% in Colorado.

Proposition 119 was aimed to help students five years old at the youngest to 17 years old at the oldest. If passed, the new legislature would have increased sales tax by 5% by 2024. The increase in tax was meant to aid students from low-income families by providing tutoring and counseling resources.

By 8:30 p.m. on Nov. 16, 54% of voters had rejected the proposition.

According to an article written by The Colorado Sun, “supporters of Proposition 119 admitted defeat” on Tuesday evening.

Some are glad it didn’t pass as building a new — and costly — state department was part of the arrangement.

It appeared that both Democrats and Republicans disagreed with certain parts of the proposition. Opposers argued that targeting marijuana consumers was unfair. Others believe that schools need to be funded by other means and that the tax revenue should’ve been funded directly into schools instead of after-school programs.

Likewise, the Mead Ballot Issue 2E could have allowed local dispensaries to open within Mead boundaries. However, it also failed with 61% against it.

Consumers believe they should be able to buy the cannabis they need without driving out of town. According to Daily Camera, the supporters argue that “Mead residents who can purchase cannabis products legally shouldn’t have to drive to businesses in other communities to do so”.

Daily Camera continued, “[Opposers believe] marijuana sales aren’t something that are necessary or wanted in Mead. There also are concerns about minors using the drug and people driving while high.”