Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album GUTS did not disappoint

The album GUTS was well worth the wait
Olivia+Rodrigos+second+solo+album+is+called+Guts.+
Olivia Rodrigo’s second solo album is called Guts.

Only two years after her debut album SOUR, Olivia Rodrigo released her sophomore album GUTS on Sept. 8. Her first album is currently sitting at 10 billion streams, and her first ever released single, “drivers license”, hit number one in the Billboard Hot 100, a remarkable achievement as Rodrigo was only 18 when it released. Since then, she went on tour throughout North America and Europe, starting on April 5, 2022, and closing July 7, 2022, performing a total of 49 concerts. 

Her new album reached up to the expectations. The set list consists of 12 songs. In an interview with Apple Music, she spoke about the process of choosing the title for GUTS. “I just think it’s an interesting word as people use it in so many interesting contexts. Like spill your guts, hate your guts, it means bravery and intuition — like listening to your gut,” said Rodrigo.

The first track, “all-american b****”, is an upbeat pop song that covers what would be considered as ideal attributes in a female today. For example, the lyrics “With perfect all-American lips, and perfect all-American hips” and “I am built like a mother and a total machine” consist of angry and sarcastic undertones which can be heard throughout the vocals. The song is a strong start kick off for the rest of the album and showcases how Rodrigo has improved as an artist and how her voice has matured. 

Track three, “vampire”, was the first released single of this album and has acquired great reviews. This song contains both amazing vocals and a catchy chorus. With lyrics like “I’ve made some real big mistakes, but you make the worst ones look fine”, they serve to show how the song can be both relatable and painful to many. 

Track six, “making the bed”, is a more somber song. Here, she utilizes the lyrics “Well, sometimes I feel like I don’t wanna be where I am” and “Countin’ all of the beautiful things I regret” to describe her struggle with her recent fame and lack of control. This song is upsetting, leaving you almost unsure how to feel. “making the bed” is all around beautifully written and has harmonious melodies that can be appreciated. 

Track eight, “get him back!”, is a cheery song with several enjoyable lyrical elements. This song has a double meaning and could easily be interpreted in different ways. The phrase “get him back” means both wanting whoever this song applies to back in her life while also seeking revenge in return for what Rodrigo’s ex has done to her. This is seen in the chorus “I want to get him back, I wanna make him really jealous, wanna make him feel bad,” followed by, “Oh, I want to get him back, ‘cause then again I really miss him, and it makes me feel sad”. This song can easily get stuck in your head even after just one listen with its more pop-rock tone.

Track ten, “the grudge”, is a heartbreaking song referencing a damaged relationship and the slight bitterness Rodrigo holds towards the other person. It’s a slower and calm song where she talks about feeling discarded, used, and hurt. Utilizing crushing but relatable lyrics such as, “You took everything I loved and crushed it between your fingers” and “It takes strength to forgive, but I don’t feel strong”, she showcases the pressure to forgive people before you’re ready, a message that’s important to bring awareness to. 

Track eleven, “pretty isn’t pretty”, is a great song that talks about difficult topics regarding both the fashion industry and beauty standards. This song resonates with me and other girls because it highlights the need of always wanting to be prettier. The lyrics also point out the feeling of living up to unattainable standards. Lines that get this point across would be “Bought a bunch of makeup, tryna cover up my face” and “There’s always something in the mirror that I think looks wrong”. This song is a good balance of a catchy tune with relatable lyrics and a strong message.

Once again, Olivia Rodrigo has released a beautifully written album with heartbreaking and relatable songs infused with catchy tunes that are bound to be played on repeat. I would rate the entirety of the album a 9/10, overall.