Where are they going?: Skylar Whalen

Welcome to The Mav’s senior tradition, where we highlight our current seniors and discuss where they are headed
Brittanie Fehn
Skylar smiles holding her softball bat, which she calls “Millie.”

Skylar Whalen (‘24) has been attending Mead High School for all four years. The beginning of her high school career was difficult because of the pandemic- she was online for a while, then began to go in person, then later continued to go online.

“I did not like being on my iPad,” Skylar said. She didn’t enjoy her time online.

Throughout Skylar’s four years of being at Mead High School, she really enjoyed going to the football games with her friends and her time in Journalism.

“There’s so many memories from Journalism,” said Skylar.

Ms. Engelen, Ms. Fletcher, Ms. Hedlun, and Mr. Holskin have all had a big impact on Skylar’s high school life.

“Ms. Engelen really helped me understand the [basic] concepts of English better in my sophomore year.”

“Ms. Fletcher is very kind, very conversational, and she is very supportive.” In Skylar’s sophomore year she had three different teachers for chemistry due to the changing staff. She started in regular chemistry, but then was told to join honors chemistry for her next semester.  Ms. Fletcher helped her to get caught up, especially with the change of three different teachers.

“I like Mr. Holskin’s teaching style; it can be difficult at times, but he is a good teacher, and I appreciate that,” said Skylar.

Skylar attributes Ms. Hedlun as one of the biggest supports and inspiration she had in high school.

Skylar is going to Dordt University in Sioux Center, Iowa. She has committed to playing on their softball team. Dordt plays in the NAIA Great Plains Athletic Conference. This is a huge accomplishment for her, as she made it through adversity to get to where she is now.

Skylar is a devout Christian, so she is excited that she will be attending a Christian university. She will major in Agriculture Missions so she can get a degree is missions ministry. Skylar also plans to minor in journalism.

“I also want to be a wildlife veterinarian.” So she will be getting her prerequisite to prepare her for entering vet school and earning her Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine.

She first wanted to be a wildlife rehabilitator, but after realizing how much they get paid, she decided to pursue veterinary medicine, which then opens up a lot more possibilities for her.

Skylar advises others to take concurrent enrollment classes because they prepare you with college study habits and can save money in the long run. She also said, “talk to your teachers if you need help.”

We wish you luck on your journey, Skylar, and hope you have a wonderful time at Dordt!