Letter to the editor: I feel we should allow girls to wear what they want if they feel comfortable

I understand that girls shouldn’t have their boobs out, or our shirts shouldn’t be very high, and our butts shouldn’t be hanging out of our shorts, and people should respect that. However, I have a few changes I think everyone would love.

I feel we should allow girls to wear what they want if they feel comfortable. If boys’ armpit hair is out they should be dress coded. Dress code is always directed toward girls, and boys get a free pass? If a girl gets a new shirt and is excited to wear it to school they should feel cool and confident rather than hear boys slut shame her or teachers judge. A girl shouldn’t have to put her boobs away in order to not get raped. The back and shoulders rule is the worst idea I’ve ever heard of. If my back and shoulders are too attractive that the boys can’t focus on school because my back is showing? Whose problem is that? I shouldn’t have to feel that way. I say that the boys need to change their style in respect. I shouldn’t have to change my clothes or have to call my mom out of work to bring me a change of clothes. Boys need to change themselves to have some respect.

There is a certain point when people should cover up and dress appropriately for the weather. It sucks when other people ruin it for everyone and now we have all these rules to follow. As someone with largely sized boobs that are always out and just can’t be all the way put away. I’m tired of boys staring at me all the time because I have some cleavage. Dress code has gotten ten times better since I have been at Mead, but we need to establish some reasonable rules and set the boys right.

Rylee Martinez

***If you’re interested in writing a letter to the editor, please email us at [email protected] 

1 Comment

One Response to “Letter to the editor: I feel we should allow girls to wear what they want if they feel comfortable”

1. Mr. Parsons on October 23rd, 2018 2:31 pm

Well written, Rylee, but I’ll give some staff perspective.

Maybe my view is different from what Admin has explained, but for me the dress code isn’t first and foremost about boys being turned on by girls or “slut shaming,” it’s about dressing properly for an academic environment. Just like there are dress codes at jobs one might have, there are dress codes here. There are certain ways a person, male or female, can dress that aren’t appropriate for certain environments. For example, this is at least partially why we don’t allow hats. Hats send too relaxed of a message and this is a learning environment and they can send the wrong message. It would be the same if a student was wearing sunglasses in class. Or, for another example, I wouldn’t let someone swear in my class for similar reasons. It’s not that I’m offended by it, but there are different behaviors for different environments.

Maybe this is too traditional and conservative for most teens, but some things that are inappropriate in one setting aren’t in another. It’s part of the school’s job to help teens learn that.

• Letter to the editor: I feel we should allow girls to wear what they want if they feel comfortable

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: School isn’t safe, people aren’t either

• Letters to the Editor

Just 30 seconds a day

Arts

The Couch

The #MeToo movement reveals years of sexual misconduct in children’s and YA literature

Reviews

The Autopsy of Jane Doe ropes in real terror and scary visuals in this 2016 Netflix release

Arts

What truly matters in life?

Mav Advice

Registration night starts next week

Administrative maneuvers: a guide to disciplinary policy and mandatory reporting

• Mav TV

Episode 9

Sports

One of Mead’s Varsity wrestlers, Emilio Chavez, is off to a good start this season