Mead High School welcomes Dr. Brian Young as new principal

Principal Dr. Brian Young moves from Frederick to Mead High School in the 2021-2022 school year, assuming the position of new principal after the resignation of Rachael Ayers

Dr. Brian Young has been given a warm welcome by the MHS community and says he has enjoyed the first few weeks of the 2021-2022 school year.

On June 11, 2021 students and parents were sent an email from SVVSD Superintendent Don Haddad, announcing that former Mead principal of 4 years, Rachael Ayers, would be moving to a district position. They were informed that previous Frederick principal Dr. Brian Young would be assuming Ayers’ position in the upcoming school year. 

Ayers addressed the students personally in an email sent on the same day, expressing her appreciation for her time at Mead.

“I did not make this decision [of resignation] lightly, but it has been on my mind for a few months. My years at Mead High School in various roles as a teacher, coach, assistant principal, and principal have been very gratifying. Serving the school community has always been my greatest pleasure,” she wrote. 

In an additional email to students and parents, Haddad said, “I understand how important strong leadership is in this time of change at Mead High, and to this end, I am excited to share that Dr. Brian Young has been appointed as the new principal of Mead High School.” 

In a press conference with The Mav Student News in early September, Dr. Young said taking the role as Mead’s new principal had to be a quick process as a result of timing. Because of how quickly Ayers’ resignation occurred, there wasn’t time for a full hiring process.

“I wasn’t planning on leaving Frederick High School,” said Dr. Young. However, when asked, Dr. Young agreed to take the position of Mead High School’s new principal because he believes in being a team player. 

This year is Dr. Young’s 21st year in public education and in the St. Vrain Valley school district. He entered the district straight out of college and has been with SVVSD since. Dr. Young originally earned his degree in Biology and was a science teacher before getting his Masters in School Leadership years later and becoming an assistant principal. Dr. Young also has his doctorate in education which he recently earned from University of Northern Colorado. 

Dr. Young’s new position has caused a stir due to the fact that he was previously at Frederick High School, Mead’s long time rival.

As reported to the Frederick High School newspaper, The Scout, he was asked about the transition between rival schools.

“The first sporting events will be really difficult for me, I’ll honestly just root for both teams and for everyone,” he said.