2023 horror movies are coming to theaters soon

Check out the most recent thrillers headlining in theaters near you
Unsplash—Mathew MacQuarrie
Horrors movies add a creepy layer to cinema.

2023 is a big year for modern horror movies.

According to The Washington Post, 55% of Americans enjoy horror movies. There has been a good variety this year ranging from murder mystery, gore, thriller, and even demon possession.

The film Saw 10 came out September 29 2023 and is the final movie in the Saw franchise. John Kramer (played by Tobin Bell) gets his revenge on the doctor and others who lied to him and took his money, after saying they removed his tumor, when they never did.

Disclaimer, this movie is extremely gory and bloody and not for everyone; it will also only make sense if you’ve seen the first nine in the franchise.

Another beloved horror series Five Nights at Freddy’s is a popular game about surviving 5 nights as a security guard, who has to manage four demon animatronics. They turned this popular game into a movie starring Josh Hutcherson coming to theaters October 27th.

This is a more “mellow” horror movie, it’s not as intense or gory as something like Saw. 

In the conjuring universe, branching off into multiple “series”, The Nun is a possession movie about a demon nun in a chapel. This demon is located in Romania, called Valak, played by Bonnie Aarons. The Nun Two goes into detail about the full story. This movie is going to explain lots of the uncovered topics in the first movie, such as how the demon came about, what it wants, and why it’s haunting this nun. This movie came out September 8th. 

Pet Sematary (yes, that’s how it’s spelled) came out April 21, 1989 and since then there had been a sequel in 1092 and another adaptation in 2019. This year, however, is a prequel about how these movies came about when young Jud Crandall, played by Jackson White, finds secrets in his hometown of Ludlow, Maine. He encounters a graveyard that will change his life forever. 

The last big horror movie that recently came out on September 15 is called A Haunting in Venice when a retired detective gets invited to a scene which quickly takes a wrong turn and he has to solve a murder mystery. 

Horror movies are oddly comforting, too; people find comfort in these movies because oftentimes they can relate in their own way.