Mavs win 14-3 in hard-fought game at home

The Mavs move to 4-4 after their victory over Niwot High School in astonishing home game win
Braeden Corliss
Mavs celebrate after a touchdown.

In Mead’s 8th game, the team showed out with a defensive masterpiece at home. With sacks from Griffin Kratchovil (‘26), Niko Valdez (‘24) and Joshua Gonzavez (‘26), the defense won the game for the Mavs. However, there also needs to be an offensive edge to win a game. Ty Olson (‘24) and Cole Michaelis (‘24) provided that, adding two combined touchdowns for the Mavs. 

The Mavs’ defense got going early in the game. With Niwot receiving the first kickoff, the defense started off by getting a solid three and out. The Maverick offense trotted on the field, ready to start their first drive. They moved the ball steadily, but a fumble was recovered by Niwot’s defense, giving it back to the Cougar’s offense. 

Caleb Elmore (‘24) made a tackle on third and short to force out yet another punt from the Cougars. On the ensuing possession, the Mavs finally made Niwot’s defense pay. A penalty was flagged, but it didn’t negatively affect the Mavs, since they scored on the following play. A block from Ethan Scallon (‘24) allowed Ty Olson to punch in a touchdown as the game’s first score. Jordan Lohr (’24) followed with an extra point, bringing the score to 7-0. 

On the following Niwot possession, Griffin Kratchovil made his mark on the game. With an incredible finesse move around the offensive tackle, he bullied his way into the backfield and ended Niwot’s drive on a nice sack. Following a return by Cody McDonald (‘24) on a punt, the Mavs started off the offensive possession with good field position. 

The drive started off well, with Ty Olson getting an outside swing pass to get a first down at Niwot’s 40 yard line. Ethan Elmore (‘27) then continued the drive on a five yard run on third down to get the first. However, Niwot’s defense came up big to force a field goal from Jordan Lohr. Unfortunately, Niwot’s outside rusher came around and made a great play to block the kick. Niwot capitalized on this play, running the ball down to the Mavs’ ninth yard line.

With the drive starting on first and goal, the Mavs’ defense needed to make a play. The stout Mavs defense came up big once again, making that needed play and forcing a Niwot field goal. Niwot put the kick through the uprights, bringing the score to 7-3 with 10 minutes left in the half. On the ensuing kickoff, Edison Burke (‘25) had a nice return to bring the ball to the Mavs’ 40 yard line. Despite the good field position, the Mavs stalled on offense, bringing the Mavs to a tricky fourth down spot. On fourth down, the Mavs ran a fake punt, but failed to convert, giving the ball back to the Cougars near the 50 yard line. 

With the ball in good field position, Niwot’s offense trotted on the field once again. Despite a good couple of plays, the Mavs forced Niwot into a third down spot, and Niwot failed to convert on third due to the Mavs’ defense. With the crowd roaring, the Cougars went for it on Fourth, and successfully converted. Following this gutsy call, Niwot made steady progress, bringing them within field goal range. The Mavs made a huge stop on defense, forcing a field goal. The Cougars missed their field goal try, keeping it 7-3.

With another offensive shot, the Mavs took their place on the field, poised for a nice drive. However, that would be short lived as the Mavs’ threw a pick on a quick pass near their end zone. The Cougars started their drive on the Maverick two yard line. 

Still, the Mavs held them on first and second down thanks to Joshua Gonzavez rallying the Mav’s defense. Once again, the Mavs came up big, as Griffin Kratochvil made a huge pass deflection on third to force fourth down. The Cougars took another shot on fourth. Niwot was unsuccessful on the run after a great play by the Mavericks defense.

With about three minutes to go, the Mavs made steady progress on their hurry-up offense. They moved it to the Cougars’ 42 yard line, nearing the end of the first half. The Mavs started marching the ball down the field with ease, but a few offensive errors ended their drive. The Mavs were forced to punt by the Cougars defense. Jordan Lohr gave the ball an exceptional boot down to the Niwot ten yard line. With about 30 seconds to go, the Cougars had a shot at a quick possession, but instead opted to kneel down the ball to end the half. 

Just out of the locker room, the Mavs received the second half kickoff and started strong. Unfortunately, they were stalled, making it fourth down for the Mavs. Coach Klatt made a gutsy call to go for it on fourth. Unfortunately, the Mavs offense was halted, giving the Cougars another shot on offense. On the next possession, Nico Valdez made a huge sack on second down, making it third and 16. On third down, Niwot ran a passing play. Mavs’ Cornerback Cale Hansen (‘25) stepped up big, and came out of nowhere to break up the pass. 

After receiving the punt, the Mavs looked good driving the ball down the field. The Mavs run game was steadily moving the ball down the field. The Mavs went for a shot to the end zone near the midline. Unfortunately, a Niwot defender made a great play on the ball, snatching it from the hands of Ty Olson.

The Mavs’ defense looked fired up and ready to get the ball back into the hands of the offense. They stalled the offense on first and second down, and forced Niwot into a tricky situation on third and eight. Once again, the defense stepped up. On a great read, Caleb Elmore read the Niwot’s QB pass up the middle and pounced on the opportunity. Just missing the interception, the Mavs forced a Niwot punt on fourth and eight. On the return, Cody McDonald ran for a huge 40 yard gain. Unfortunately, a holding call on the play would move this gain back ten yards. 

On the last play of the 3rd quarter, Cole Michaelis made a nice run to secure the first down, continuing the drive for the offense. Later in the drive, the Mavs had key runs from Ryan St. Aubin (‘26) and Edison Burke to keep the ball moving. With 9:29 left in the game, Cole Michaelis capped the drive with a tough run up the middle, bringing the score to 14-3 after Jordan Lohr scored the extra point.

Niwot moved the ball steadily after the kickoff, but the Mavs continued their defensive success. Josh Gonzavez had his second sack to push it to fourth and 19 for the Cougars. The Cougars opted to go for it. On the fourth down play, Austin Ott (‘25) made a great play on a pass deflection to give the ball back to the Mavs offense with 4:05 to go. The Mavs ran down the clock, utilizing the run game. However, a dropped pass with 23 seconds left in the game gave the ball back to the Cougars offense. The Cougars remained scoreless on this drive, ending the game 14-3 with the Mavs coming out on top.