Benny Garcia is MHS drumline’s unofficial hype-man

Garcia attends every football game and is a vital part of MHS spirit
Jacob Morales
“Go Mead. All day, we’re here, we ain’t goin’ nowhere, and no other school can do it like y’all do [it].” – Benny Garcia

Benny Garcia, father of Mead High student cheerleader Abby Alvidrez (‘26), loves to show his support for the Mead High drumline. For every single event he attends, Garcia brings unmatched energy to the stands. 

During the 2022-23 football season, Garcia began showing up to games to cheer on the band. He has become a legend among the marching band, being labeled as the “Drumline guy” by many members.

Snare drum player Jahir Luna Ortiz (‘24) has experienced Garcia’s antics firsthand. “He’s the guy. He’s the drumline guy. He’s the most hype person in the stands the night of our games.” 

When asked if Ortiz remembers a specific moment he met Garcia, he stated, “No, he kind of just appeared, like he was always there.”

Center snare player Alice Stewart (‘25) has a similar view. “He was so excited when we would play cadences in the stands, and I just remember being super excited because he was like our hype man — he still is that guy.”

Drum Major Kensington Fairley (‘24) posing with Benny Garcia in his new “Friday Night Fever” band shirt. (Jacob Morales)

Although he expresses love for the cheer and dance teams, football team, and the student section, he outwardly supports the MHS band as much as he can.

“My family grew up playing guitar, drums, bass [guitar], piano”, Garcia said, “and I grew up with all of that [as well]. So I know a little bit, not the best, but just a little.”

“Music is a very special thing for me. I grew up with music, my background is music, so it’s always fun hearing you guys do your thing. It’s amazing,” he added.

When he is not at the games dancing with the drumline, he works as a driver for waste management. He also works as a youth pastor alongside his wife for his local church. “…It’s pretty cool. You know, I like it.”

Garcia’s attitude and dedication to the drumline is demonstrated through his supportive actions and words. “You guys are beautiful, awesome people. Your attitude, your skills. You guys bring this energy, you get us hyped up, and that’s why I get hyped up.”

Benny Garcia will continue to be the number one fan for not only the MHS drumline, but the entirety of the talents and school spirit that students carry to each game.