Growing up with Kingaroo: A photo essay

Meet King, my Great Dane
  • This is King. He is a Great Dane from Grand Junction, Colorado.

• King has a lot of names, many of which are just weird variations of each other. These include Mister Boy, Mister Mister, Mister Baby, Kingaroo, Kingalicious, and more.

• Here he is at just a few months old. He couldn’t have been more than ten pounds in this picture. He will turn three this May—he is such a Taurus.

• King is about 130 pounds now, but he thinks he is still the size he was at birth. Because of this, he sits in people’s laps, on the couch, and takes no issue in laying directly on top of anyone who looks comfortable.

• King is very unaware of what dogs are supposed to do. He wants to climb furniture like a cat, and instead of chewing on furniture how any other puppy might, he licks stuffed animals and pillows.

• Big dogs have big heads, and King is definitely no exception. He stops at chairs, tables, handrails, counters, and anything else he can reach in order to rest his neck.

• King is very sleepy. He sleeps any time, anywhere. I know he is dreaming when his legs twitch and he starts grunting. I like to imagine that he is dreaming about playing with small woodland creatures.

• All it took for him to jump on my shoulders was eye contact, and, regardless of his bad breath, he loves to give kisses. I love my baby.

View Comments (1)