CETC Teacher aims to push just how much Kindness Counts

Career Elevation and Technology Center Pre-Law Pathway teacher David Elchoness combated a tragic event by finding a way to create a brighter future for students
Shayd Fuller
ThePeterFund’s website features the merchandise they have for purchase.

Tragedy struck in late November of 2022 when Peter Elchoness, a senior at Niwot High School, unexpectedly passed away from an unknown heart condition: Myocarditis. Peter was a beloved son, friend, and brother, and left a large impact on his community. He was described as a “lifesaver” and an “example of extraordinary kindness.”

Amid this chaos, Dave Elchoness, Peter’s dad, sought a way to remember his son. He ended up creating ThePeterFund—an organization that focuses on recognizing the importance of kindness. Mr. Elchoness looks forward to expanding ThePeterFund to other high schools in the area and beyond.  

It was because he wanted a way to honor his son’s name that Elchoness started ThePeterFund. 

He said that he thought to himself that every kid should feel successful, and that all kids are successful in different ways. His son’s “top thing” was kindness.

“So the idea was, let’s create an award where we encourage kids who are the top [achiever] in something different to continue to do those things,” said Elchoness.

In late July of 2023, ThePeterFund organized an event at Whistlestop Park in Niwot. There were games, food trucks, vegan ice cream trucks, local bands, and much more. At the end of the evening, Elchoness awarded students with the Kindness Counts Award: an award given to Niwot students who were nominated by fellow students and teachers for their courageous acts of kindness. Each student was given $250 for themselves, and $250 towards a charity of their choice. 

The lesson that Elchoness and his family want to teach students is that “a dull day is a good day.” They want to applaud resilience and define success in a new way. Elchoness describes his meaning for ThePeterFund as follows: “One wave will come down, but there will always be another wave there to take you back up.” 

ThePeterFund has social media. People can follow their Instagram, YouTube, and click on their website to learn more about ThePeterFund: how to donate and how to shop their merchandise