Mead Wrestler Leister Bowling announces commitment to University of Iowa

After years of dedication imbedded in a strong family legacy, Bowling IV is ready for the next step
Bowling+IV+gets+his+hand+raised+after+a+victory.+
Blake Bruxvoort
Bowling IV gets his hand raised after a victory.

On the evening of Nov. 7, 2023, Mead wrestler Leister Bowling IV (‘25) announced his commitment to the University of Iowa. While only a verbal commitment, it is still a remarkable feat. 

The University of Iowa is arguably the most iconic wrestling school in the country. The Iowa men’s wrestling program is one of the most successful NCAA Division I athletic programs. The Hawkeyes are 37 time Big Ten Conference Champions and second in NCAA history with 24 National Championship titles.

“I’ve wanted to be a Hawkeye since I was eight, and to make that dream come true means a lot to me. It proves that I have worked hard and proved people wrong,” Bowling IV said.

Bowling IV began wrestling at the age of four and has been in love with the sport ever since. His hard work and dedication to wrestling has been driven by not only himself but his coaches and family as well. 

His father and coach, Leister Bowling III, was a four time Colorado high school state place and a three time state champion. Bowling III also has an extensive background in wrestling and mixed martial arts as he was a three time all American at Dana College in Nebraska. He was one of Elevation Fight Team’s wrestling coaches, coaching some of the best fighters the UFC has seen. 

“As a parent and coach, I am very proud of the dedication and drive he [Leister IV] has put into wrestling and school to get to the highest level possible. Nothing in [wrestling] is given, it is earned. To see his work begin to pay off is special to watch. I am very excited for these next two years of high school and to see him at the next level,” said Bowling III.

Bowling IV (‘25) has learned just about everything he knows about the sport of wrestling from his dad. And, like father, like son: Leister III was coached by his dad—Leister Bowling Jr. 

Bowling Jr., Leister’s (‘25) grandfather, has an immense amount of love for the sport. He never misses a match of Bowling IV’s (or Little Leister as friends call him) and still enjoys rolling around with anyone brave enough to take him on. As a coach for Leister III and sometimes little Leister, he did not have a soft hearted approach. While some have opinions on certain coaching styles, it’s clear to see that this family has made it work—or it’s just in their blood to dominate.

Since Bowling IV’s (‘25) freshman year, he has had his heart set on being the best. It’s been a consistent grind for the past four to five years, training with some of the best coaches and partners around. 

From trips across the country to gain All-American status, to training and competing overseas, Leister Bowling IV has proven himself to everyone around and has made his family beyond proud. 

Click here to see some of Leister’s feats.

View Comments (1)