Judge Mary Kay Holthus suffers several injuries after being attacked in court

Debora Delone Redden attacks Judge Holthus after sentencing
Kannon Garcia
The bizarre attack reached national news and even social media

On Thursday, Jan. 4, 2024, Judge Mary Kay Holthus was attacked by defendant Deobra Delone Redden.

On Jan. 3 Debora Delone Redden was sentenced to four years in prison for his original felony conviction on an attempted battery charge. 

Redden, who has previously served time for violent offenses, told Judge Mary Kay Holthus he was “trying” to do better. 

Holthus said immediately, “I appreciate that—but I think it’s time that you get a taste of something else because I just can’t with your history.” After Judge Holthus told Redden this, he almost immediately is seen getting up and violently jumping over the podium to attack the judge after shouting out several expletives. For the full audio of the attack, click here.

Redden, after this incident, is now facing 13 new counts including attempted murder against an older person, extortion, and coercion with force. Seven of the new counts are battery on a protected person, referring to the judge and officers who came to her aid. Holthus said in the courtroom, according to a video of the hearing by KSNV. “For purposes of the record, I want to make it clear that I am not changing or modifying the sentence I was in the process of imposing last week before I was interrupted by the defendant’s actions.”

Though this has been a huge story in the news, this also hasn’t failed to become an ongoing “joke” in social media. Across several social media platforms, people have been continuously posting content about “hugging the judge after a sentencing” or “can’t forget my hug after,” completely mocking the situation and Redden’s attack on the judge. 

Judge Holthus suffered some injuries and was evaluated but not hospitalized, courthouse officials said.