Mead’s football team suffers tough loss to Durango at home 

The Mavericks were unable to overcome shortcomings on both sides of the ball, losing 30-16
Christian+Hiner+celebrates+his+touchdown+with+teammates+during+Meads+home+football+game+vs+Durango+on+Sept+22.+
Braeden Corliss
Christian Hiner celebrates his touchdown with teammates during Mead’s home football game vs Durango on Sept 22.

Coming off a bye week, expectations were high for the young squad. Despite returning talent making its mark, the Mavericks struggled on both sides of the ball.  

With Christian Hiner having an excellent Homecoming game, eyes were turned on him in this important matchup. While the junior hoped to match last game’s achievements, Hiner (’25), much like a lot of the team, simply struggled. He scored once on a QB keeper, but threw two interceptions. 

Strong performers for the Mavericks included Ethan Scallon (’24) who had a nice touchdown, mossing his defender in the process. Edison Burke (’25) made an incredible catch late in the game, rising over his defender for a highlight reel-worthy moment. Kicker Jordan Lohr (’24) added two field goals as well.

The Mavs started this game looking pretty good, with a punt on the first drive, but securing a nice stop to force the Demons to kick a field goal, which they knocked through. On the second drive, the momentum had carried back in Mead’s favor, however, as Hiner (’25) ran it in to bring the score to 6-3. 

That lead was the last lead they would hold however, as the Demons scored 13 straight to bring the score to 13-6 going into half time. 

Coming out of the half, the Mavs looked reinvigorated and ready to go. They had a new energy, hyped up and poised to make a comeback. 

That excitement would soon change, as the Demons scored on a wide open passing touchdown to bring the score to 20-6, increasing their lead once again. 

The Mavericks tried to mount a late-game comeback, but had to settle for another field goal when the offense stalled in their efforts. 

Mead’s defense was able to secure a stop on the Demons’ next drive, giving the ball back to the Hiner-led offense. Hoping for a miracle, the Mavs marched down the field, capping it off with a great catch by senior wide receiver Ethan Scallon (’24), who toe-tapped for the score. 

The Mavs had now pulled within a score of their opponents at 23-16, giving them a great opportunity for a possible onside kick. And that they went for, but came up short, giving the Demons the ball with less than two minutes to go in the 4th. 

With the ball on the Demons’ 40 yard line, the Mavs’ defense had one last chance to give the ball back to the offense. A holding penalty moved the Demons into 3rd and 20, but on third down, they had a huge run of 15 yards to bring up 4th and 5.

The Demons were able to draw an offside on the next snap to bring it to 4th and 1. With the crowd on their feet, and the roar of the student section at a game high, the defense pinched the line.

Unfortunately, the noise wasn’t enough, as the Demons broke through and ran for a touchdown, sealing the deal.