Mead Elementary students participate in special ‘Movement Day’

MES students kick off the morning with a musical twist
Addison Babcock
Mead Elementary School front plaza.

On Friday, Sept. 29, the local band Guerilla Fanfare filled Mead Elementary’s front plaza with upbeat Friday tunes. Movement Day started in 2011 when the current principal, Ms. Betsy Ball, assumed her leadership role at Mead Elementary. 

Ms. Ball referred back to neuroscience data that suggests there are many benefits to incorporating movement into the school day. Teachers are given a movement choice for each day and that goes on for 5-10 minutes after announcements. The kids will do dances, enjoy fun games, and dance around to get their blood flowing.

Incorporating movement in the classroom helps to stimulate blood flow, extend energy, and activate the brain — all of which help get students ready to learn.

Every Friday, students have an “All School Movement” period. All grade levels, staff members, and even parents gather in the front plaza to get ready to release some wiggles and get fired up for their Friday. Each week, a different grade level and staff team gets together and makes a playlist and choreography.

This time, it was the special staff’s turn.

Chad Lemons, former Mead High music director, is in his second year of teaching music at MES. He found this band through the sousaphone player, Zach Brake, a band director at Thunder Valley 5-8. 

Lemons said, “I knew of his band, but it wasn’t until [Mead] High School tried to do a collaboration for the first time. We had his band and some of my students play.”

Guerilla Fanfare started this crisp September morning off by playing the beloved hype song “Happy” by Pharrell Williams. The Brass band featured one sousaphone, two trombones, one saxophone, and one drummer. 

The fifth graders started the wave throughout the crowd and then the art teacher, Shelly Luckow, kicked off the dance moves. From clapping, sliding, and getting low-low-low, Mead Elementary’s plaza was filled with contagious giggles, smiles, and energy. 

With the kids loose and ready to move, the brass band played Dua Lipa’s hit song “Levitating”. Every mouth was singing those words loud and proud along to the brass band’s sweet melody. 

To wrap up this special Friday morning, Guerilla Fanfare played Village People’s “YMCA” as the students filed back into the building. 

Mrs. Lucklow said, “We make sure to include everyone. All students can participate, even if they don’t have the ability to dance like a fifth grader.” 

This special feature of Guerilla Fanfare in Mead Elementary’s All School Movement Day will definitely be remembered as a highlight of the school year. 

Click here to view our video coverage of the event.