Enforced parking permit meant to increase school safety 

$5 parking pass does not impact students’ rights on campus and is instead used for other safety measures
Student+vehicles+in+the+tennis+parking+lot+
Braeden Corliss
Student vehicles in the tennis parking lot

According to Principal Brian Young, Mead High School has always had a parking permit rule. This rule was not enforced during the Covid-19 pandemic, but is being enforced this school year. New enforcement of the parking pass requirement has led to a variety of student interpretations.

Some students believe the parking permit gives the school the right to search vehicles. District policy states that with or without the permit, school officials still have the right, under reasonable suspicion, to search a vehicle. According to Principal Young, though, this is a rare practice. 

So what really are these stickers? What do they actually do?

In order to get a parking pass, students must go to the MHS website, fill out a google form, then go see Ms. Choksey to receive the physical permit sticker and pay the $5. 

Some rumors have claimed that once a student gets a parking permit, they hand over their rights to the school. This rumor is false.

The parking permit changes nothing when it comes to student rights. Instead, the pass allows for vehicle identification which helps keep the school safe. This pass prevents unwanted visitors from loitering in the parking lot or being on school grounds. By having a parking permit, students help school officials identify who is on our campus, helping the school fight safety concerns. 

So, where does that money go? In a press conference with Principal Young, he explained that the $5 goes to parking related expenses such as maintenance, signage, and materials. It also helps with costs when the school uses the overflow parking lots. If the $5 dollars prevents someone from getting a parking pass, the school can help with the cost, Young said.

If a student doesn’t have a vehicle of their own or drives different vehicles, they’ll only have to pay the $5 once, and administration will give them multiple parking permits.

Some students feel their cars should not be searched on school property. However, the moment a student enters the school’s lot, administration has the right to search a vehicle if there is reasonable suspicion. This is allowed under federal and state law as well as district policy

“We have never, and will never, search anything without a cause,” said Dr. Young. 

On Friday, September 8th, school administration placed pink slips on car windshields (pictured above). These slips carry a reminder that every student needs a permit and has a QR code to access the permit document. In fine print at the bottom of the slip, it states the consequences of not having a permit.

These consequences include loss of driving privileges, which is also covered under district policy (as driving to school is a privilege, according to district documents). If a student is open-enrolled, their parents signed a document saying they would provide transportation to help students get to school outside of their boundary.   

Students need to fill out the Google Form, see Ms. Choksey with $5, and get the physical permit sticker. Once they place the sticker on the inside of their windshield, they are good to go. 

View Comments (2)