Mead High School wins ESPN Honor Roll

MHS Unified program adds another award to its growing collection
Skylar Whalen
The ESPN Honor Roll award was given to Mead High School framed and in a sleek black box.

Around the month of October, Mead High School Unified received some exciting news on social media. 

Mead High School has been named the ESPN Honor Roll School of the Midwest. 

ESPN SportsCenter anchor Randy Scott introduced the 2023 ESPN Honor Roll School winners, saying, “[This is a] testament to you, the students, with the support of your school, staff, and administration, alongside Special Olympics. For all your hard work. You are creating not only a school of inclusion, but a world of inclusion.”

In order to win ESPN Honor Roll School, schools must meet the Ten Standards of Excellence. Winning this award means Mead High School is a nationally recognized Unified Champion School. 

While this is an exciting feat, it’s not the only time Mead Unified athletics has won an award for their efforts.

Three years ago, Mead Unified won the National Banner Unified Champion School. The program received this honor due to all of the work that Mead High School has done with Unified Sports and inclusion in the school. The award comes every three years, and Unified won it again this year. 

Mead High School was one of the first schools to incorporate unified athletics. Special Education teacher Ms. Amber Vanzant reached out to Special Olympics about ten years ago.

Ms. Vanzant said, “They were doing a study with the University of Massachusetts in Boston. They asked us [and Silver Creek] to be part of that study, but we are the only high school in our district that has been a banner school.”

Thanks to the efforts of all Unified athletes and supportive staff and students, Mead Unified is able to continue achieving and striving for greatness.